April is National Humor Month.
National Humor Month was founded in 1976 by comedian and best-selling author Larry Wilde, Director of The Carmel Institute of Humor.www.humormonth.com
We’ve probably all heard the quote, “Laughter is the best medicine.” Whether laughter helps with any disease or not, it certainly can take our minds off our troubles for a while. I’ve used funny movies and pet videos quite a bit to help when I’m in a lot of pain or struggling with depression or to help lighten the mood for my kids when they were smaller.
By the way, the person who said, “Laughter is the best medicine” is up for debate. Some people credit humor writer Bennett Cerf. Others say it comes from a verse in the Bible:
A cheerful heart is good medicine,Proverbs 17:22 NLT
but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
Things To Do For National Humor Month
According to Angie Gensler, in her article National Humor Month – April 2023, “April is the perfect time to celebrate National Humor Month.” Here is her list of things to do for Humor Month:
- Watch a funny movie or TV show with friends and family.
- Host an online comedy night with your social media followers.
- Take time out of your day to read a funny book.
- Look for opportunities to spread joy by telling a joke or funny story.
- Follow humor accounts on social media for a daily dose of laughter.
- Attend an open mic night and listen to funny stand up performances.
- Share jokes or memes on social media platforms such as Twitter or Instagram.
- Share humorous memes or videos with your friends and family.
- Organize a game night with friends & family.
- Put on a show for your co-workers and do some improv comedy skits.
Looking for some great clean jokes, “here are 25 funny April jokes and the best April puns to crack you up. These jokes about April are great jokes for kids and adults.”
I especially enjoyed pun #2!
Boost Your Happiness
In 5 New Humor Exercises to Boost Your Happiness! | Psychology Today, Ryan M. Niemiec Psy.D. talks about how laughter and smiling helps us connect with others and brings pleasure into our lives. He believes we can do a few things to actually increase our happiness.
- Write down the three funniest things that happened to you that day.
- Keep track of how many funny things happen each day.
- Add humor to your day by watching funny shows, telling jokes, or sharing funny things with friends and family.
- Write down funny events in a journal.
- “Think about a stressful experience from your day. Write about how it was – or could have been – resolved in a funny and humorous way.”
Wrap Up of National Humor Month
We can use humor to help us feel better or cope with stress at any time of the year. I hope these ideas increase your joy! Check out this post for my favorite funny movies: My Favorite Funny Movies
Till next time, Kathy
Subscribe below for the bimonthly newsletter plus access to subscriber-only freebies. You may unsubscribe at any time, but I’d be thrilled if you stuck around.